Anatomy of "Saving Normal" (Episode 166)
Doctors Brian and Giuseppe speak with Dr. Allen Frances, author of Saving Normal: An Insider's Revolt Against Out-of-Control Psychiatric Diagnosis, DSM-5, Big Pharma, and the Medicalization of Ordinary Life, about the dangers of a loose diagnostic system for the treatment of kids. Topics include:
- Why mental illness seems to be on the rise
- The influence of pharmaceutical companies on diagnosis
- The dangers of over-treatment
- The shift from psychiatric hospitals to prisons as treatment centers
- What parents can do to protect their kids
You can also get your free podcast subscription in iTunes.
Leave us a comment, or you can e-mail suggestions or questions to email@example.com.
Note: Posts on Family Anatomy are for education only, and are not intended to replace professional or medical advice. If you need to talk to someone about family or mental health issues, you can get a referral from your family doctor. Doctors Brian and Giuseppe discussed kids in general in this episode, but every child is unique; your experience may vary from that discussed in this episode.