Doctors Brian and Giuseppe speak with Dr. Mary Lamia, author of Emotions! Making Sense of Your Feelings, about the meanings of emotions. Topics include:
- Why it’s important to interpret your emotions
- The purpose of the emotions of sadness, grief and loneliness
- The benefits of the emotions of fear and anxiety
- Why self-esteem programs don’t work for bullies
- The impact of shame
- How valuing happiness (which is really several emotions) can make people miserable
… or you can right click here to save the episode for later.
Note: Posts on Family Anatomy are for education only, and are not intended to replace professional or medical advice. If you need to talk to someone about family or mental health issues, you can get a referral from your family doctor. Doctors Brian and Giuseppe discussed kids in general in this episode, but every child is unique; your experience may vary from that discussed in this episode.